09 May Is Your HVAC System Ready To Keep You Cool?
With Spring coming to an end and Summer quickly approaching, ensuring your HVAC system is ready to keep you cool on these hot summer days, is not something you want to wait to do until the last minute.
Taking the time to prepare for your air conditioning system for the Summer can prove to be helpful considering it could be days before a professional can visit you. While repairs should be left up to professionals, here are a few tips you can use to maintain and clean your system!
First, it’s important to remember to always turn off the power to the condenser along with any other levers, fuses or circuit breakers associated with the condenser.
- Clean or replace your air-handler at least twice a year. If they begin to look clogged with dust, that can be a good indicator that the filter needs to be cleaned. If filters are not cleaned or replaced, air will not flow properly, the efficiency will be reduced and dust can be recirculated throughout your house.
- Next, you’ll want to clean out the air conditioning condenser coils. Debris can also collect in your unit during the fall and winter months. It’s best to use a tarp or cover to protect your unit. If not you’ll want to clean out any dirty or leaves that may get stuck in it.
- Be sure to clean out any debris you see throughout your entire unit. Whip areas that appear to have dirt and use a little WD-40 to lubricate the ports. If there’s any water be sure to dry that off, along with any weeds or vines you see.
- Foam coolant line insulation covers the tubes or pipes that are connected from the evaporator on the air handler to the condenser in order to keep them from losing energy. If you notice any parts that are missing the foam, you’ll need to replace it!
- After it’s all said and done, you’ll want to test the unit to make sure it’s working properly. After ensuring your unit is dry, make sure your thermostat is off. Then, turn the power on at every source, and then turn your thermostat to cool. If your unit isn’t working properly be sure to call a professional!
While somethings are better left to professionals, there are things you can do to keep your air conditioning system well maintained and clean. If you’re looking for a professional in North Carolina be sure to call Biggs HVAC today! From heating to cooling service, residential or commercial services, Biggs not only offers technical expertise but excellent customer service. While located in Garner, we also service Wake and Johnston Counties including Clayton, Raleigh, Smithfield, Selma, Goldsboro, Four Oaks, Wendell, Zebulon, Wake Forest, Dunn and Angier. To learn more visit us online https://www.biggshvac.com/ or call us today at 919-329-8288.